Pursuing the right masters degree and profile building for a career in human rights

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pursuing the right masters degree and profile building for a career in human rights

Hello,
      I want a career guidance as to how should I start with paving my career into this path and what will be the best degree to persue as my masters?

I will give you a background of my academics:
      1-I am from India, I have pursued my Bachelors in Commerce(Honours) and later on pursued a one year course in luxury product design and management.
      2-During my college days, I volunteered with two different NGO(s) for one year each.
      3-I have one year work experience as a marketing associate with a Fashion social media App.
      4-Right now I have joined my family business which is an export house of equistrian products.

I have realised that my ideal area of career is into human rights and being on a level where I can make a difference. I have always desired to work in organizations like Unicef and Amnesty International and I want your suggests as to what steps should I take in order to build the right profile for it? ( Masters degree,online courses,internships,etc) I look forward to pursuing my masters from countries like Canada and U.K. it will be great if you can also suggest me the right courses for it.
    • Hi asnaarif3094,

Welcome to the HRC Forums! Great you have decided that your future career will be in human rights. So how can you prepare for a career in this field? Below you find my suggestions and also some articles that may be helpful.

• Learn a language: Don't underestimate the importance of having at least one second language. Especially if you aim for a career at the UN, speaking more than 1 UN language is a must.
      • Get a masters degree: For many jobs in the human rights field you need a masters degree and often higher grades are only open to candidates who have one. The choice of the degree is less important because Non-governmental organizations, international organizations and governments need the same skills other companies need. Think about what you really enjoy doing and where you get really excited and follow the path.
      • Paid internships: Internships are still a great way to dive deeper into human rights. Make sure you do not make one internship after the other. 1-3 internships is enough. If your job hunt in human rights is not successful after the internship, apply for jobs that are not in the field of human rights but that give you valuable hands on skills for changing your career once you have the opportunity.
      • Online courses: An online course will not be sufficient to get you a job but it might help to shape your CV further into the direction of human rights.It can also help you deepen your interests and explore new ones. Please note most of the course providers will charge you for obtaining a certificate. There is financial assistance available in some cases.

I hope that's helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.